The Palm Springs Public Library in partnership with the Palm Springs Art Commission and sponsored by the Palm Springs Sustainability Commission and Palm Springs Disposal Services is presenting a juried art show inspired by the film Waste Land.
Coachella Valley and High-Desert artists and Palm Springs area high school student artists are invited to submit new works of art created from existing materials. Artists can also re-use a previously created work and re-imagine it or use materials that would normally be headed for the landfill to create your piece. Use any medium, including sculpture, to showcase your interpretation of Inspiration Waste Land.
Two cash awards will be given, one (1) $500 for Best-In-Show adult and one (1) $500 for Best-In-Show youth/student. There will also be Honorable Mention ribbons presented to a select number of entries.
So, if you are an artist that resides in the Coachella Valley, High Desert or are a student artist enrolled and attending a Palm Springs area High School, please consider submitting for this exciting show.
Here are the details:
The inspiration for this art show was fueled by the film Waste Land. This movie was filmed over three years and documents artist Vik Muniz as he journeys from his home base in Brooklyn to his native Brazil and the world’s largest garbage dump, Jardim Gramacho, located on the outskirts of Rio de Janeiro. There he photographs an eclectic band of “catadores” — or self-designated pickers of recyclable materials. Muniz’s initial objective was to “paint” the catadores with garbage. However, his collaboration with these inspiring characters as they recreate photographic images of themselves out of garbage reveals both the dignity and despair of the catadores as they begin to re-imagine their lives.
We invite you to respond to the theme and create new work and new ideas from existing materials. Re-use a previously created work and re-imagine it or use materials that would normally be headed for the landfill to create your piece. Use any medium, including sculpture, to showcase your interpretation of Inspiration Waste Land.
- One (1) $500 Award to Best-In-Show Adult (18+ years or older, not currently enrolled in the PSUSD)
- One (1) $500 Award to Best-In-Show Youth (Palm Springs Area High School students in grades 9–12)
- Jurors will also award Honorable Mention Ribbons based on the quality and appropriateness of the artwork submitted.
- Open to all Coachella Valley and High-Desert Artists 18+ years or older, not currently enrolled in the Palm Springs Unified School District (PSUSD)
- Open to all students in 9th – 12th grade currently attending a Palm Springs area High School
- Maximum ONE entry per artist
- Artworks and digital images must be original and relevant to the theme
- No artwork reproduced by any commercial process
- Original oil, watercolor, gouache, acrylic, mixed media, ink or charcoal, pastels, photography, collage, monotypes, prints, digital and computer generated images, and sculpture, subject to size and weight limitations, are eligible.
- Artwork that has appeared in its current form in a previous Coachella Valley art show
- Crafts, functional or decorative work
- Insurance protection is the responsibility of each artist
- Neither the Palm Springs Public Library, the Public Arts Commission, the Palm Springs Sustainability Commission, the City of Palm Springs, or its directors, staff, or volunteers, nor anyone connected with the art show, will be responsible for loss or damage however caused.
RULES OF ENTRY
- Hanging artwork may not exceed 24” H x 24” H x 6” D, 20 lbs. weight
- Artwork may not be less than 9”H x 12”W framed.
- Artwork must be dry and properly prepared for hanging with wire
- Watercolors, pastels, charcoal, pencil/pen, ink, monoprints, works on paper and photography must be framed and covered with glass or Plexiglas
- Wrap-around canvas paintings do not require framing
- Pedestal sculpture must not exceed 18”H x 12”W x 12”D, 35 lbs. weight. No wall-mounted or floor standing sculpture will be accepted for this show
ENTRY PROCESS/DEADLINE/DELIVERY DATE
Artists will submit a digital submission entry form via email to: email@example.com with up to five (5) images of the art work attached for consideration; only one entry per artist. The deadline for digital submissions is: Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 by 5:00 p.m. PST. THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS.
A panel comprised of local art experts and participating organizations will make the selections of those works to be included in the show. Artists will be notified by Thursday, March 28th, 2013 and MUST DELIVER their selected art works in-person to the Library on Tuesday, April 2nd between 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. NO EXCEPTIONS.
The Reception/Opening will be on Sat. April 6th, 2013 from 1:30-2:30 p.m. where two (2) prizes of $500 each will be awarded, one to an adult artist and the other to a youth artist. All artists in the show are encouraged to attend the opening awards reception. The art show will be taken down by April 29th and artists will need to come to the Library to pick-up their art work on Tuesday, April 30th from 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
Award recipients will be selected by a panel comprised of local art experts and members of the sponsoring organizations. The panel will consist of a minimum of three but no more than seven people. The panel will review the quality and appropriateness of the artwork submitted and determines the award winners.
Artists will be notified of non-accepted work by email when judging is completed by Thursday, March 28th. All artists must include a local telephone number and a valid email address on their entry form so they can be contacted.
Submitted artwork must remain on display for the duration of the show. Sales are not permitted at the Library; however, interested parties may leave their contact information with either Julie Warren at the Library or Jennifer Henning, Public Arts Coordinator, at City Hall.
CLOSE OF EXHIBITION
All displayed works must be picked up Tuesday, April 30th, 10:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. at the Palm Springs Public Library. The Library, nor the City of Palm Springs will not be responsible for artwork not picked up on April 30th, 2013, between 10:00 a.m.– 3:00 p.m.
The City of Palm Springs, its officers, agents and employees, in connection with the Inspiration Waste Land Juried Art Show April 6 – 29, 2013, reserves the right to reject all submittals and decline artwork submitted for this exhibition.
OPENING RECEPTION AND AWARDS
The opening reception and presentation of awards will take place Saturday, April 6, 2013, from 1:30-2:30 p.m. at the Palm Springs Public Library, 300 S. Sunrise Way. Award winners will be announced at 2:00 p.m.
Jennifer Henning, Public Arts Coordinator
Julie Warren, Library Services & Public Relations Manger
2013 Inspiration Waste Land – A Recycle Art Show
Digital Submission of artwork due:
Saturday, March 23rd, 2013 by 5:00 p.m. PST
MUST include entry form information in email
Artist Notification: Thursday, March 28th
Art drop off: Tuesday, April, 2nd 10:00 a.m.– 6:00 p.m.
Opening reception & awards: Saturday, April, 6th 1:30 p.m.– 2:30 p.m. (awards will be announced at 2:00 p.m.)
Show will be on display in the Library April 6th – 27th
Daily, Tuesday – Saturday, during regular hours of library operation
Art pick up: Tuesday, April 30th 10:00 a.m.– 3:00 p.m.
ENTRY FORM (Please Include ALL the following in the email submission)
Title of Artwork:
Explain how this piece adheres to the theme (ten words or less):
Date Artwork Completed:
Dimensions: Height Width Depth Weight
* PLEASE NOTE: A Release of Liability must be signed when artwork is delivered.