Have you ever thought about how much money you save when you use your public library? In honor of Library Card Sign-Up month, use this handy Library Value Calculator to determine how much the library is worth to you. This worksheet has been adapted from the Massachusetts Library Association and Chelmsford Library.
Did you know:
- Americans spend nearly three times as much on candy as they do on public libraries.
- They spend $35.81 a year for the public library—about the average cost of one hardcover book.
- 58% of adults in the U.S. have public library cards.
- Americans go to school, public and academic libraries more than three times more often than they go to the movies.
- Americans check out more than eight books a year, on the average.
If you are curious how much you save by using the public library, use the Library Value Calculator. You might be surprised how much we mean to you. You mean a lot to us!
Jeannie Kays, Library Director