During the month of October 2010 the Palm Springs Public Library announced a Pumpkin Coloring and Drawing contest for all ages; with three age categories Youth, Teen and Adult. The response was exciting, with over 300 entries submitted!
Each entry form was just a blank outline of a pumpkin shape, but the entries received included materials and techniques such as mosaics, pencil drawings, water colors, applied sequins and much more.
It was a challenge but all valid entries were reviewed and grand prize winners were selected, with an honorable mention in each category also being chosen. There were three judges; Robert Brasier, Deputy Director of Education and Public Programs at the Palm Springs Art Museum, Amy Sand, the Chair of the City of Palm Springs Public Arts Commission and Barbara Roberts the Director of Library Services.
Our grand prize winners are as follows:
- Stevan Velasquez winning a LeapFrog® Leapster® Learning Game System in the Youth (grades K—5) category.
- Yeredith Deluna winning an Apple iPod Shuffle 2 GB (4th Generation) in the Tweens/Teens (grades 6-12) category.
- William Fajardo winning a Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, with a 6″ display in the Adults (out of high school and age 18+) category.
The following Honorable Mention entries were also chosen:
- Youth in grades K—5: Andria Serna
- Tweens/Teens in grades 6-12: Zaira Deluna
- Adults (out of high school and age 18+): Marco Lopez
“It was a tough choice, so much creativity”, said Barbara Roberts, Director of Library Services. The winning entries and honorable mentions will be on display in the Library.